Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pantene

After watching the 4 minute Pantene commercial I was kind of at a loss for words. At first I found it to be an awesome commercial and a cool piece of film making. The director of this commercial was lucky to get for minutes in opposition to the normal thirty seconds or so that a director gets. This couldn't have been shown on television, but it still was a cinematic commercial. For some reason I could not make the connections to Pantene's hair products. It was still a good directorial effort by whoever directed it.

Wait! That wasn't a good commercial in my opinion. I didn't see the relevance of the commercials story. It was cool what they did with it visually and thing with the butterfly was kind of cool, but in ways it was stereotypical and uncreative. The first thing I noticed was the old man from a far who has been a mentor inspires the girl to play violin. There was also the fact that all the fuss was over classical instrumentation, Asian people have to play a classical instrument. At the end of the commercial when the man ends up in the hospital, we are shown that there has to be a reason for this girl to be inspired. After re-watching the commercial I noticed that the girl did flip her hair a lot while playing the violin and I said to myself "she does have nice hair though".

1 comment:

  1. Did you feel a bit annoyed when you realized that the narrative of the deaf child had nothing to do with the commercial's purpose?

    ReplyDelete